Saturday, August 21, 2010

To write, but not to read

Right now I'm listening to the NPR interview between Terry Gross and Gary Shteyngart, the author of Super Sad True Love Story. The novel is based on the future, where books no longer exist and people's attention are glued to the screens of their iPhone-like gadget, slowly watching society collapse into pulp.
What caught my attention is towards the end of the interview. What I found interesting in the conversation between Terry and Gary is the idea that everyone wants to write, but not read. Gary finds it funny how the publishing company is bombarded with new ideas for books, upcoming chapters in a memoir and potential/not so potential authors, while the authors themselves don't read. Everyone wants to express their opinion about something through writing a book, blog, etc., but no one wants to read.
I was always taught that the only way to improve my vocabulary, my writing, and my knowledge, is through reading. I've always loved reading ever since I read my first book, and I still do. I love reading anything that keeps me on my toes and interested. Right now, I'm reading Hunchback of Notre Dame and Gone with the Wind, two great classics. However, as I grew up, I spent more time on the computer, tv, and iTouch. Gary on NPR also brought up his opinion on technology. We are now always connected through the amazing, effective technology, but it doesn't make us any happier. I'm so caught up with my news feed on Facebook, tweets on Twitter, etc., and I truly don't realize how much time I waste on it. I need to learn how to monitor my time that's spent on the computer, especially when I'm leaving to college so soon. I love being connected, but in the end, the information that I read is not very useful and worthwhile. What's worthwhile? Curled up on a comfy chair and reading a book.

"There's more to life than books, you know but not much more." -Morrissey

&c.

No comments:

Post a Comment